And no we don’t mean a sparkling one!

We mean tooth loss & acid erosion, UK dentist have warned that with more and more people enjoying a glass of the fizzy stuff that means more of us are at risk of dental problems.

The daily mail have a statement from Professor Damien Walmsley, scientific adviser for the British Dental Association, said: ‘Prosecco offers a triple whammy of carbonation, sweetness and alcohol, which can put your teeth at risk, leading to sensitivity and enamel erosion.
‘Carbonated beverages get their fizz from the release of carbon dioxide, which dissolves into carbonic acid. This provides a refreshing taste but also makes these drinks more acidic. Added to that, Prosecco comes with about one teaspoon of sugar per flute.’

So after the UK consumed around 40 million litres of Prosecco last year dentist are urging patients to be mindful over their drink choices. Unlike wine which is often drunk as part of a meal, Prosecco is often a treat amongst friends and this means that the teeth are bathed in the acid and sugar over a prolonged period. The action can lead to the enamel literally being dissolved and worn away leading to fillings and in worse case tooth loss!

The signs of tooth erosion can include a whitening of the enamel often along the gum margin and an increase in sensitivity, so although we won’t tell you to not to have that lovely glass of Prosecco our dentist would advise to be mindful of your drink choices, stay within the recommended weekly limits and if you have any concerns don’t delay your appointment!

2015 © Copyright - Proudly designed by Bird Marketing

For emergency cases        01908 610536